Learn by doing with our hands-on teaching approach.
Fast track your WordPress skills from novice to awesome in two days. This course is designed from 18 years experience to provide “Step by Step” guidance to build your own WordPress website including bells, whistles and then some.
This course focuses on technical management of the WordPress platform including installation, setup, adding content, plugins, themes, updating and security.
As well as the basics, Glenn will share his pro tips from years of experience building WordPress websites.
What you will achieve during the two days:
- How to set up a WordPress site from scratch
- Understanding of WordPress components and how to apply them to your needs
- Understanding of how to se up and manage your WordPress site
The WordPress course really helped me understand how websites work and how WordPress can work for me!
It was very informative & I think everyone learned a lot, I know I did
The session was very informative. It was good to get a techie perspective on what to do, and the different options available. I have managed WordPress sites previously, but the session has helped me feel more confident about building WordPress websites. Glenn was an excellent facilitator of the session.
Anticipated Outline of Content
- Introduction to technology minimalism
- WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
- Setting up your domains, hosting and email
- Installing WordPress
- Basic setup of WordPress – Settings
- Intro to Planning your content and structure (WordPress and Marketing Masterclass is recommended for extended content training)
- Posts vs Pages
- Categories, tags, authors
- Introduction to comments and spam
- Managing website editors, authors and contributors
- Introduction to widgets
- Managing menus
Themes – Look Good
- Introduction to themes
- How to select a theme
- Introduction to page builders
- Introduction to the Divi Theme (WordPress and Marketing Masterclass is recommended for in-depth Divi training)
- Introduction to child themes
Boost your functionality
- Introduction to Plugins
- How to find and select the best plugins
- Installing and configuring recommended plugins
- Introduction to JetPack
- Adding photos, galleries, video and YouTube
- Adding Google analytics
- Adding a Mailchimp signup form
- Website contact form
- Adding a Google map
Sync with Social Media
- Adding social share buttons
- Displaying your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds
- Setting up your site to look great when shared on Facebook
- Optimising your site for Google – sitemaps, content structure, pages
- Basic graphic design – fonts – colours etc
- Optimising content – mobiles – readability – google
Manage your WordPress Tech
- Testing your site
- Setting up a backup system
- Secure your site from hacking
- Make your site faster
- Migrating your website
- What to do when things go wrong
In addition to the content outlined above, there is time scheduled to cover more advanced topics and specialty applications. This content will be decided by you and your class.
This may include setting up an ecommerce site or anything from Glenn’s vast training experience:
Glenn’s approach to learning to keep pace with the participants so you will not get left behind.
Hosting and domain supplied
Glenn will provide a temporary domain (website address) and hosting (website home) for you to work on to build your website. Your website can then be moved to your own hosting. Alternatively, you can work on your own domain and host and Glenn will help you set this up before the training so it is ready to go.
Resources to prepare
Glenn will provide a number of resources and readings to allow us to get right into the juicy stuff right away.
Previous WordPress or website building experience is not necessary. You will be expected to be reasonably fluent in using your laptop for general tasks including installing software and connecting your WIFI.
Money Back Guarantee
If you have registered early and your circumstances change beyond your control, I will refund your money in full. If you are not satisfied with the training, I will refund your money in full. I am yet to have an unhappy student.
Glenn's business has been running as a Social Enterprise for over 17 years. Most profits go to funding Glenn's community work. We will also be gifting a number of training scholarships for Activists.
Ross House - Jenny Florence Room
247-251 Flinders Lane,
Melbourne VIC 3000,
Morning and Afternoon Tea/Coffee
Coffee and refreshments will be provided and included in the cost.
Lunch will not be provided.
Contact the organiser
We will start at 9:30 sharp and work until 4:30. We will have some breaks along the way including lunch. If you require setup time, or would like to check your email or Facebook before starting we will be there from 9:00.
All you need is your laptop. (Ipads and tablets have limited capability. Please discuss this if you plan to use one.)
Power and WIFI
We have that covered.
We will not train people or organisations that make their money by doing bad things.
Can't make it? Keep updated.
With the only course like this in the world, Glenn will teach you how to use WordPress as a marketing platform that will produce results. Make beautiful websites that actually work, resonate with your audience and generate leads. More information
Byron Bay images: Rosie Lee; Owl Images: Tony Hisgett, Airwolfhound, Matt Biddulph, kayugee